Dec 2, 2010

The Pic You've Been Waiting For

It is a very strange feeling to push an empty stroller around the hospital. I always hate that part. Sometimes I forget that Ainsley's not in it. During it all I try to remain stoic, but seeing her empty boots on the bonnet of the stroller while we were waiting for her made me feel a surge of emotion.


Luckily we didn't have to wait long, about then we got a page with our room assignment and after about an hour they brought her from recovery. It took about that much time for the respiratory therapist to get her trach supplies and equipment ready so the time flew. Ainsley seems pretty comfortable at the moment while she is still on morphine. Clearly there is a lot of swelling and she cannot open her eyes. We are doing cool compresses every 10 minutes. There is very little lid but I think that is because it is underneath the swollen part of her eye. I hope. 

The incisions look good. The keloid is gone.

This is what they removed from her legs. I don't know what I was thinking because I expected them to be thinner and smaller, but I guess it makes sense, these plates held the two pieces of her legs together while the bone healed. They are about 2 1/2" long, larger they are in this picture. It's no wonder they were bothering her. Geez how could you have those screwed into your legs and it NOT bother you?! I'm so glad they are out!

Hopefully we will have an uneventful night and be leaving after rounds in the morning.

Thanks everyone for your prayers and positive thoughts. It means so much to know how much everyone cares. We are so relieved that this eyelid surgery is behind us! If it's weren't against hospital policy I'd be having a good stiff drink right now. Oh well.....coffee will have to do.

9 comments:

  1. Poor precious-I can't imagine having the plates/screws in my body! Glad they're gone. So happy everything went well and I hope you're happy with the results, there is no keloid (tell her all the pretty girls have keloids-I get them too) and the recovery is smooth on all of you. Fingers crossed the night goes well and she stays comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know that feeling of walking around the hospital with an empty stroller. Ainsley is so beautiful even with those puffy bruised eyelids. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, the empty stroller...couldn't agree with you MORE!!! It is very emotional. And the folks that ride in the elevator with you (visitors - not parents, obviously) who say, "oh, looks like you forgot somebody". har har Sometimes I wish it were acceptable to smack a person.

    Glad the metal is gone. That does look painful!

    I remember after Harlie's jaw reconstruction... waiting for the swelling and bruising to go down so I could see the new Harlie. Those are some long days. So hard to describe those feelings and how hard it is to see a different looking child. Know that I'm thinking of you. And that I'll be waiting anxiously over the next several weeks to see her eyes!!!

    Much, much love,
    Christy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I think Ainsley looks beautiful even with a bit of swelling! Can't believe those screws! Super speedy recovery vibes on their way!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hugs Susan.
    You my friend are inspiring and I just love you.
    Ainsley is beautiful swollen and bruised. I just love her.

    I wish I could be there with you Mama.
    Sending you my love and support dear friend.

    Hugs and all the love in the universe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i missed your post on trach.com. haven't much felt like going there since Angus passed away.

    glad that Ainsley is now through her latest surgery. i hope that her recovery goes smoothly.

    clare. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ainsley is gorgeous no matter what!! And actually the swelling doesn't look quite as prominent as I expected. She's a beauty for sure!

    The empty stroller -- I always hated that. Even in a Children's hospital it's awful pushing that thing around.

    Love those boots!!

    Wishing the best for Ainsley and all of you during her recovery!

    xoxo
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  8. glad everything went well. I wanted to stop by and say hello yesterday since we where there from 12-230 but Izzy was complaining of stomach ache so I decided it was best for us to just go in out and not share anything though I think it was from her nerves she was very worried about the dentist she does not like things in our near her mouth.... still not taking the chance!

    hope that your night went well and that she is doing good today and having a speedy and uneventful recovery! sending our love!!! Wyndi Izzy & Nola

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh looking at those screws makes my jaw hurt. Yikes!!

    ReplyDelete