Feb 8, 2010

Tonsillectomy (and All) Started

I'm so relieved we actually made it to this point! We arrived at 6:45 and went through all the pre-op stuff. It always takes awhile. I don't know why they bring you in so early only to have you sit and wait, just watching the door hoping it will open.

2 minutes after I changed her diaper she was sitting on my lap and peed, of course her diaper leaked so now I feel like I peed my pants. Joy. I've really gotta' get this leaky diaper problem fixed.

Now that Ainsley is older and more aware she gets really nervous around medical personnel so they let me bring her back to the operating room. It's amazing to see. But you have to put on a special "gown". BeUtiful. What a mom won't do for her child.

I think it was about 8:00 when they put her under. The procedures should take about an hour and quarter or so. Steve is meeting me here later, he had to get the older kids ready for school and drive carpool, so it might be over by the time he gets here. But likely recovery will take some time as she comes out of the anesthesia. But I'm hoping he makes it here in time to meet with the surgeon. I can't wait to hear what he has to say about her airway and whether or not she needs ear tubes. If you can believe it, this is all outpatient. So when it's done we go home.  I'll post another update when I can.

Meanwhile I'll be sitting in the cafeteria lamenting the painfully slow internet connection. This photo is for Karen, whose local children's hospital looks out onto the cemetery. I am thankful for the view as I kill time.

P.S. Anyone else hate this new blog post interface. I give up on fixing the allignment. And where is spell-check?!


  1. sending our love and hoping for a uneventful recovery!!!

  2. I am glad you got to go ahead with the surgery! Can't wait to hear how it went and how Ainsley's airway looks!

  3. I hope Ainsley is recovering well.

    Susan listen your children aren't too big at all for a canvas. I would just buy a 16x20 one, just let them choose their colors for hands and feet without each child being the same color, and then let them choose a bunch of different colors, then they can go crazy. Do the feet and hands first then let it dry overnight then the abstract strokes the next day.