Nov 12, 2012

Happiness Week 45

Yikes I nearly forgot today is Monday since we are all at home because of Veteran's Day. This will have to be a quick one. I promised the kids to spend some time with them. We are potty training Ainsley and let's just say it isn't going too well. The clean up has cut into my day of relaxation (Ha, ha, ha ha ha. I've finally realized there really is no such thing).
 

Daily Happiness Photos - Week 45

11/05 A New Marking Spot
***
I used to love marking the kids' height on the wall in our basement. I've been a bit lax in doing so for the past couple years. Today we found a new marking place.
 
11/06 A Second Term for Obama
***
I like to think I'm an independent. I like to consider the candidates rather than simply vote down party lines. I considered voting for Romney. The deciding factor for me was that Romney planned to repeal "Obamacare". I've never been happier than when I learned we would no longer have to worry about Ainsley being uninsured because of our insurance's "lifetime maximum" (which was $2 million).  Sure we are on a "Katie Beckett Medicaid Waiver" that picks up secondary expenses beyond our insurance, it's what allows children like Ainsley to live at home with their families instead of in hospitals or institutions as they would have 30 years ago, but there is little peace of mind in that. First Medicaid doesn't pay well so it's difficult to find providers that are willing to accept Medicaid patients on Medicaid. Second, is the uncertainty of the waiver programs since there is word of them being cancelled in some states, like Illinois. Which is incredible when you consider that this program saves the states a lot of money by keeping kids from being institutionalized. I know I can sleep better now.

11/07 Leather Bound Books
***
Some may dream of a Kindle Fire but I dream of having a library of dust covered heirloom leather bound books like those from the Easton Press. They are so well made that they are... ehem...unaffordable.  They used to make a beautiful set of Little House on the Prairie books and they are so rare that the set now sells for over $1500. I would check the E-bay listings hoping for a miracle, never to find one. So imagine my delight when I discovered that Barnes and Noble has a leather edition of the first 5 books for $20. These special leather editions are really nice, so if you love classics, go to B&N and check them out. 
 
11/08 Antiquing
***
I could get lost in antique stores for the rest of my life and be happy as can be. I love looking at all the objects of days gone past and wondering about the times and people who owned these objects.  The only trouble is that I love so many things I see. I guess it's good I don't have unlimited finances because I'd have a lot of "junk". Steve was kind enough to indulge me with a trip to Pacific Galleries since we were in Seattle to take Ainsley to new specialty, endocrinology, more about that another time. I did not find an umbrella stand but found plenty of inspiration like these gold frames with burlap. I'm going to have to make my own.

11/09 Congratulations!
***
Congratulations are in order because Steve got a job today!!! The game studio he worked for was closed down by Sony in April. He had a contract to work on Halo 4 but it was temporary and ended the day before Halloween. I didn't realize how much this was weighing on us until now. What a RELIEF! Evie had been pestering us to bake her first cake all week, and it worked out perfectly that she was able to do it for her dad. She did a nice job, I'd say.

11/10 Hot Soup on a Cold Day
***
Nothing is better, nothing!
 It was colllllld. The kids played outside while Steve and I did a bit of yard work. I forgot to get a single photo of Ainsley all decked out in her hat, scarf and mittens playing soccer in the driveway using her walker with Evie and Adrian Can you believe I missed such a photo op?! Later I made 16 bean soup and we cozied down for the night in our warm house. I LOVE SOUP.

11/11 Decluttering
***
Maybe some day I'll get into the personal organizer business. I love to have a place for everything and everything in it's place. My poor kids. Evie has a lot of junk. I hadn't seen the tops of her dresser or nightstand in months. I found this shelf unit at Goodwill for $3. After a can of spray paint it looks pretty cute and was a great way to compromise so that she can still keep all her knick knacks but without her room being a total sty. Of course this will last a few hours at best.
 
**********

To view a slideshow of the entire Happiness Photo Project click here. Confused about what this is or why I'm doing it? Click here for an explanation of what it's all about.

1 comment: